Friday, March 1, 2013

A Discovery leading to a Mystery





Hey Everyone,

While I was out gardening in the Brom Garden on Tuesday I discovered some little bundles of hopes, dreams and possibilities... also known as Caterpillars.

I've had this vine growing up and onto the wall and I was about to go over and poison the plant.  I'd tried getting rid of it on several attempts but it was now bugging me too much, and so I was going to kill it, but I didn't realised just how relevant the term "bugging" really was.

These are the caterpillars of the Common Crow Butterfly, or the Oleander Butterfly.

Now for the mystery.
I haven't the slightest clue as to what this plant may be, I've done some googling and still can't find it, so hopefully one of you out there may know what it is.

The vine seems to cling to the fence with the vine itself, as though it had tiny hairs that it was latching onto, but I'm not sure if this is the case, or it's just twined around the fence very tightly.  I also saw yesterday that it has these tiny itty-bitty flowers coming on it so I'll have to get a closer look tonight, but the photos betray just how dark it was getting.


Well, I actually wrote this on Wednesday because last night I was at Eastern Districts Orchid Society's February meeting.  It was wonderful.  I love being a part of the society, I've learnt so much and I enjoy the meetings immensely.  I forgot to get the camera out of the car, and by the time I realised my mistake Mum and Dad had already driven home, so I told them not to worry.  My iPhone did a horrible job at capturing the photos, so I'll have to show some photos from the last meeting.  Well, back to class I go.

Happy Gardening,
Michael

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mike..I don't know what the vine is, but that caterpillar is beautiful Would love to take macro shot on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The caterpillars would look magnificent under a macro... I'll try get some closer photos :)

      Delete

Hi, I'd love it if you'd make a comment. I enjoy hearing what you think and all comments are read, and replied to, to the best of my ability at the time.

Happy Gardening :)